8.28.2009

Strike up the Singers - Sparrow Village



[B and T, two of my new singing stars]

The past week has been a blast: reconnecting with old kids, meeting new ones, and watching streams of little'uns trickle into the music "lapa" every day as soon as the piano and the drums start thumping.

W, my fifteen year-old vocal and composition prodigy, has been playing, practicing and singing full force the past few weeks, but I returned to find that she has also been recruiting back-up.  Within ten minutes of sitting down with her at the piano I am sure to find a flock of other kids surrounding us, singing along to a song she has written and taught them.

Enter T, a ten year-old with a remarkable ear for high harmonies and a ridiculously powerful set of lungs.  I sat there in shock the first time I heard her sing harmony to W's new song.  This video won't do either of them any justice whatsoever, but you can get a great idea of how far these kids have come in just a few months and what an afternoon of music is like with them!

Two things to note:

1) This song is completely composed, arranged and played by W.  That's her on the piano.

2) T is the little dancing queen screaming out the high notes and breaking it down away from the crowd.  The challenge is getting her to sit still for five minutes during practice!





No comments:

Post a Comment