2.05.2010

A South African Julliard



I was met back at Sparrow Village with news that made my heart practically soar.

Michael breezed through his audition for the Central Johannesburg College for Music in January. He has just finished his first week of classes, and he's loving it! Granted, his favorite thing may be that he's allowed to wear his own clothes - as opposed to the other South African high-schoolers who have to wear school uniforms. But he's enjoying the school itself and, amazingly, all of his classes.

It is such a joy to hear a new response to the question 'How was school today, Michael?' other than the perfunctory 'Fine'. Now I get answers like, 'I started learning how to DJ!' He's so excited about it, and it's absolutely thrilling to hear a kid talk about school that way.

We've got an appointment tomorrow to finish mixing one of his new songs. He wants this one to have a house beat. For those of you who don't know what that means yet, you're in for quite a techno music adventure!

Well done, Michael. Your future awaits.



2 comments: