At long last, after helping out at Baby Haven for my first month and a half here, I have made the switch to working full-time at Child Haven and Sparrow Village. With the school holidays just starting up and all of the kids at home for a couple of weeks, it's been the perfect time to jump into the music project.
This week I finally got into downtown Joburg with a music expert. We hit up one of the major musical instrument distributers for Round 1 of instrument shopping, and I walked away with the following:
- one keyboard for Child Haven (with keys that light up -- so even the 4 year-olds can have some fun!)
- 2 tambourines
- numerous egg shakers
- claves
- 2 sets of finger cymbals
- 2 guitar tuners for Sparrow
- 6 sets of guitar strings for three old guitars we found at Sparrow
I've got quite the elementary school music teacher's collection growing in my bedroom...
Round 2 of shopping will come sometime in the next 2-3 weeks, with djembes, microphones, and music books at the top of the list.
The kids at Child Haven have loved the small instruments -- even though quite a few egg shakers have ended up in their mouths rather than being used as shakers during the songs. (What can I say? It's the 3 year-old's continued fascination with tasting everything in sight). The teenagers at Sparrow have been incredibly quick learners on the guitar, bass, and piano, and I can't wait to have books for them to speed up their learning.
Hopefully some music videos and songs will be posted shortly. Until then, thank you so very much for all of your help and the contributions that have made this project possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment